CRITTENDEN COUNTY, ARKANSAS
Located north of Earle, Arkansas on Hwy. 149, about 3 miles. Turn right on a gravel road to the “Harris Brothers”
farm and their red farm shop on north side of gravel road. The cemetery is on private land. It is not kept clean. The Cloar family first sold the land to Jerry
Sparks, later Jimmie and Billie Harris bought the land from Mr. Sparks.
Survey made Nov. 22, 1993 by Janis Lancaster and Joe Wood.
Original document typed by
Earlier transcriptions by Pat Isabel Brown
(Information provided by Janis Lancaster and from
information at Crittenden County Library, Marion,
Arkansas - 2001. Additional
information has been added for John and Martha Franklin, grandparents of Rev.
D. G. Daniels)
– born March 12, 1892 – died April 6, 1913 or 1918 Gone But
Not Forgotten (her maiden name was Martin. She was the first wife of Tom Atkins)
Bessie – born Nov. 22, 1910 – died March 22, 1912
Charles Wesley – born March 15, 1864 – died Nov. 28, 1928 (This is a double stone, they
are parents of Carroll Cloar, the well known artist.)
J. – born Oct. 28, 1880 – died Dec. 2, 1928 (Double stone with Charles Wesley Cloar, maiden name David)
Marjorie – born March 30, 1920 – died June 23, 1912 (daughter of
C. W. and E. J. Cloar)
DAVID, James Carroll – born July 7, 1846
– died May 4, 1908 Aged 61 yrs, 9 mos, 27 days
His Many Virtues Form The
Monument To His Memory (father of Eva J. Cloar,
husband of Rhoda Richards)
– born Dec. 25, 1888 – died Nov. 22, 1921 (brother of Julia Eva Cloar)
Rhoda – born Jan. 6, 1851 – Died July 21, 1909 (maiden name
was Richards, daughter of John and Lucinda Richards. She was wife of James Carroll David)
John William – born Nov. 11, 1861 – died Mar. 25, 1939 (He
was a Missionary Baptist Minister. His
parents were Calvin Monroe Franklin and Mary Cantrell. Siblings were Amozar,
Jess and Harvey Lee who was a Church of Christ Minister
FRANKLIN, Martha Lou – born
Dec. 19, 1868 – died July 5, 1936 (wife of John
William Franklin. Her name was Martha Louise Ragland, daughter
of Clarence Walter Ragland. These were the parents of Willie Franklin, Mrs.
(Willie) Charles Cloar, and the grandparents of Rev.
D. G. Daniels)
FULLWOOD, May M. – born May 28, 1884 – died November 21, 1928 A Tender
Mother, A Faithful Friend.
HUMPHREY, Della – died
April 22, 1918, age 43 (think her maiden name was
Martin. She was wife of
J. T. Humphrey. They were parents of Lethia Madden, Maxine Harris, Velma Hood, Clyde Humphrey,
and others. A grandson of hers lives in
Earle, Ark., Jack Humphrey)
W. – born 1886 – died Oct. 1918 (He was a brother
of Eva (Martin) Mrs. Tom Atkins)
It is believed
there are others buried in this cemetery with no markers.
following excerpt was taken from
of Crittenden County, Arkansas” by
Early Cloar Cemetery
the Cloar family records, one of the first cleared
sites in present day Earle----about 12 acres -- was that farmed by Thomas
Jefferson Cloar, who acquired his holdings in the
early 1860's after coming to Arkansas from North
Carolina by way of Tennessee. Cloar built a log
cabin on his land and he and his wife, Amanda Aycock,
lived there until her death March 18, 1864.
They were the parents of 11 boys and two girls, most of whom died in infancy.
Mrs. Cloar was buried in a graveyard which was
on the site of the present high school campus near Barton
Street at Fourth
Her husband, who died later in 1864, was buried in the same graveyard.
Excerpt from “History of Earle”, written by Mrs. T. J.
This history appeared in the “Earle Epic”
In the early
1860’s what we now call Earle was a dense forest, inhabited by wolves,
panthers, wild cats, wild turkeys, wild hogs, “coon”, opossums, deer, rabbits
and squirrels. It was owned by Thomas
He and his wife, Amanda Aycock, had thirteen
children, eleven boys and two girls.
Most of them died in infancy or at an early age. Thomas J. Cloar
cleared almost twelve acres of ground and built a log house for his family from
the trees on his land. Amanda Aycock Cloar died March 18, 1864, when Charles Wesley
Cloar was three days old. She was buried in a graveyard, as it was
called then, on the new school grounds across from the Assembly of God
Church. Then they put their graveyards
on high ground because of high water.
timber stretched for miles and was the main industry then. The land had to be cleared, there was no
drainage and water stood everywhere.
Thomas J. Cloar decided this land was too low
to farm so he sold the land and bought higher land three miles North of
Earle. He came from North
Carolina to Union City, Tennessee and from
there to Arkansas. In 1864 , he got his hand cut in his
one horse drawn cotton gin on his farm.
Blood poisoning set in causing his death. He was buried by the side of his wife,
Amanda. His son Charles Wesley Cloar, age twelve, another son; John F. Cloar,
age twenty and James J. Cloar, age nineteen inherited
Charles Wesley Cloar built a store; a post office was
added to the store since it was hard for people to get their mail from
Earle. The post office was called “Cloar” and from the post office, “Cloar”
was put on the map.
to Cemeteries Page
Return to Links Index
to home page
Lunsford Yates, 2000 - 2005
Last updated Thursday, March 17, 2005, 8:48:51 PM CST